Written by Nathasha De Alwis
12 Jul, 2018 | 6:25 am
COLOMBO (News 1st)
1. President Maithripala Sirisena announced yesterday (July 11) that he will sign the required orders to carry out capital punishment for convicted drug traffickers who carry out large-scale drug smuggling operations.
2. Prime Minister of Thailand General Prayut Chan-o-cha will arrive in Sri Lanka today (July 12) on a two-day official visit on an invitation extended by President Maithripala Sirisena.
3. Reports emerged yesterday (July 11) that two State Banks are to provide a loan of Rs. 13.5 Billion to bail out Sri Lankan Airlines.
4. The expenses of the Former Chairman of SriLankan Airlines, Nishantha Wickremesinghe was revealed at the PCoI yesterday (July 11). He billed the airline Rs. 7.726 Mn from 2008 to 2015 as sales related pax cost. Furthermore, for the financial year 2013 and 2017, the basic salary for the Chairman’s staff (excluding the drivers) was documented as Rs. 3,812,000.
5. A study by the Department of Census and Statistics has found that 65% of state sector employees lacked Advanced Level qualifications while 17.2% lacked G.C. E. Ordinary Level qualification. In November 2016, out of the 1.1 million employees in the public sector, excluding the security force, only 17.6% were graduates.
1. NATO secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg welcomed leaders of the military alliance in Brussels on Wednesday (July 11) for a two-day summit amid tensions over U.S. President Donald Trump’s remarks about the alliance.
2. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visited flood-affected parts of Japan today (July 11) as the death toll from the worst weather disaster in 36 years reached 176 and health concerns rose amid scorching heat and the threat of new floods.
1. Croatia qualifies to the Finals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup beating England 2-1 in the Semi-Finals.
2. ICC suspends Dinesh Chandimal, Chandika Hathurusinghe & Asanka Gurusinghe for two tests for harming the spirit of the game during the 2nd test against West Indies
19 Jul, 2018 | 07:06 AM
17 Jul, 2018 | 07:49 PM