Written by Ramesh Irugalbandara
27 May, 2015 | 2:16 pm
Taliban insurgents armed with assault rifles and a grenade launcher stormed a guest-house in the diplomatic quarter of the Afghan capital overnight and held out for hours until they were killed by government forces early on Wednesday (May 27).
Afghanistan’s Deputy Interior Minister General Ayoub Salangi said no casualties other than the attackers were reported, .
More than a dozen blasts were heard by Reuters witnesses in the first hour of the attack, while bursts of gunfire and explosions continued until a clearance operation was launched at daybreak more than five hours later.
Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi said the guest-house was owned by a prominent Afghan political family which includes Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani. Rahimi declined to identify the occupants of the guest-house, which Afghan and Western security sources say is known to accommodate foreigners as well as Afghans.
The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack after it ended and said numerous “invaders” had been killed, although it often makes exaggerated claims about casualties in attacks against Afghan government and foreign targets. The Islamist group, which has been waging an insurgency since it was toppled by U.S.-backed Afghan forces in 2001, considers the foreign presence in Afghanistan an invading force and the Afghan government a puppet regime.
The Afghan capital has been hit by a series of high-profile attacks on foreigners and government targets over the past two weeks, deepening concerns over whether Afghan security forces can cope after most foreign troops left at the end of 2014.
Afghan Taliban gunmen killed after attack on Kabul guest-house
Posted by Newsfirst.lk on Wednesday, May 27, 2015
16 Feb, 2019 | 11:12 PM
15 Feb, 2019 | 05:21 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]